The spread of the COVID-19 virus is on many people’s mind, including the CES National Board, the CES National Chapter Board, and the C2020 Conference Organizing Committee. We are closely monitoring the evolving situation globally and more specifically in Canada where, so far, the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) has assessed the public health risk associated with COVID-19 as low for the general population. We are keeping abreast of the analyses and recommendations of PHAC, the World Health Organization, and the Center for Disease Control, as well as the local situation in Ottawa, the host city.
Given the current uncertainty regarding future events due to COVID-19, the CES Board of Directors is going through a due diligence process to determine the best way forward. The CES is carefully considering its options. We expect to be able to provide additional information regarding the conference in the coming days.
Finally, we note that prevention starts with each individual adopting protection measures:
- wash your hands often with soap and water, or use hand sanitizer;
- avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth unless you have just cleaned your hands;
- cover your cough and sneeze with a tissue or into your arm, not your hand;
- if possible, stay home if you are sick;
- avoid visiting people in hospitals or long-term care centres if you are sick;
- it is still recommended to get your flu shot if you haven’t already as the flu virus is still circulating in the community.
The C2020 Co-Chairs, Benoit (he / his) and Jennifer (she / her / hers)